Friends Of Helmsley Pool - We Need You!
As a registered charity and the only heated open air pool in Yorkshire we need help with the day to day running of the pool and crucially help to raise funds for much needed refurbishment work.
Please ‘register’ as a ‘friend’ so we can keep you up to date with developments at the pool, events and fundraising.
Here are some of the areas that we need help in:-
Can you bake a cake? Lidos across the country get much needed revenue from the sale of teas & cakes. We are expanding our catering facilities this year – please support the pool by baking a cake!
Be a ‘Heatwave Helper’ Every so often we get a sustained period of hot weather and the pool can hold up to 100 people. When this happens our team need help in the following areas
- Car Parking (Overflow)
- Queue management and information
- Changing Room Upkeep
- Sale of Refreshments
Aquathlon Marshall – For the first 3 Tuesdays in August we run our ‘Swim & Run’ race series. We always need plenty of help marshalling the run route and counting the swimmers’ lengths. Volunteer and a child / friend can race for free!
Volunteer Lifeguards – Our staff are mainly University Students returning home for the summer holidays to work at the pool. This is one of the reasons we have to close at the beginning of September as they prepare to return to their studies. The weather in Helmsley is usually very good in September and we have lots of visitors. We would like to extend our opening into September so let us know if you would like to be a volunteer lifeguard and we will run a training course at the pool at the beginning of the season.
Got an idea for an event? Events are a great way of introducing people to the pool and for generating funds, so whether it’s aqua tai chi to water volleyball or a fundraiser – let’s do it.
Securing Funding – Whilst the pool is sustainable in terms of day to day costs – we need to secure some grants to help us with the major projects outlined. Help with applications for grants would be very welcome.
If you would like to help our pool visit our just giving page
Save Our Swimming Pool
In 2019 the pool will be 50 years old.
There is a growing list of investment required if the pool is going to stay open for the next 50 years
- The swimming pool tank is clearly showing signs of its 48 years of age and has a number of leaks. One option is to build a new tank within the existing tank – this would reduce the pool width from 9m to 8m, and level out the depth at 1.5m – the pool length would remain 25m long. Estimated cost £100K+. A lower cost shorter lifecycle option (10 years) would be a new pool lining at circa £30K.
- New heating system – the pool temperature is kept at around 26 degrees Celsius by two oil fuelled boilers – one is from when it was originally built the other ‘new’ one dates from 1979. Since the pool operates primarily in the summer we would like to explore the option of renewable energy and heating the pool through solar panels.
- New Fencing Surround – the original concrete fence is ageing and unlovely. We would like to replace this with a greener and more attractive option.
- Changing Rooms – Whilst the swimming pool building roof was recently refurbished the changing rooms and foyer are in need of refurbishment.
Recent improvements include:
- New roof and windows to the changing room block
- Modernisation & re-decoration of the reception and office area
- Cleaning and painting of the exterior wall
- Warm poolside showers constructed